About The Department
YEAR OF ESTABLISHMENT: 1948
OPENING OF HONOURS COURSE: 1996
COURSES OFFERED NOW: Honours, General, and Compulsory (AECC)
TEACHING METHOD: Combination of Chalk-and-Talk and ICT- oriented. Online teaching during the pandemic situation
LIBRARY FACILITY: Central Library and Departmental Seminar Library
SUCCESS RATE: Satisfactory (Including in Examinations under CBCS)
REMARKABLE PERFORMANCE: Nilanjana Saha was placed in the first class first position in the 3 year Honours Degree Examination – 2019 securing 71% marks
STUDENTS’ PROGRESSION REPORT: 80% in PG courses, a few in M. Phil. and in PhD programmes
FUTURE PROFESSION: A large number of students get engaged in jobs both at the private and public sector mainly in teaching profession. Remarkably, the following candidates have become Assistant Professor:
- Jayanta Ghosh
- Bratati Barik
- Dibyojoti Das
- Supriya Saha
- Perfect co-ordination among the teachers.
- Good Teacher-Student rapport.
- Scope for borrowing books (reference books, in particular) from the Seminar Library by the students.
- A Computer is installed in the Department.
- Completion of cent percent syllabus at all levels.
- Regular publication of the Departmental Wall Magazine FLINT.
Perfect co-ordination among the members of the teaching staff and very good student-
Holistic development of the students
EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
Encouraging and giving guidance, where necessary in the following programmes/ activities:
- College/ university/ district/ state level cultural competitions
- College/ university/ district/ state level sports meet
- Publication of the departmental wall magazine FLINT
- Colourful Teachers’ Day celebration
- Shreya Das secured the first position in the District Level Declamation Contest on “Patriotism
and Nation Building” held on 12/12/2017
- Soumili Banerjee secured the second position in the District Level Declamation Contest on
“Patriotism and Nation Building” held on 12/12/2017
- Shreya Das participated in the Elocution Competition as a part of “Sampriti Saptaha” to celebrate the 125 th anniversary of Chicago speech delivered by Swami Vivekananda arranged by Government General Degree College, Jalaghata, Singur, Hooghly